This really is quite simple and not so much a recipe as a method, but it comes out perfect every time. Basically, I shied away from making brown rice for a long time because it always turned out too mushy, even after following instructions exactly. Of course, brown rice is healthier, and I think it tastes great, so I persisted to find a method that worked. Finally, I found that the oven does it so much better than the stovetop (we don't have a rice cooker), and most instructions indicate adding more water than it actually needs. This method takes a little more time (to cook, not prepare), but it's worth it.
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a 2 quart oven-proof dish, place 1 1/2 cups of brown rice. Add 2 1/2 cups of water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for an hour to an hour and ten minutes.
It's that simple! I usually take it out and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving. You can also add salt, vegetables, chicken broth, etc. if you want pilaf or a different flavor.

No comments:
Post a Comment